EL PASO WRITERS’ LEAGUE CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE I – PURPOSE
Established in 1935, the El Paso Writers’ League is a non-profit organization. The league promotes, encourages and supports writers with an interest in all types of creative writing Our goal is to provide programs, speakers, seminars, etc. to improve writing skills and share marketing venues. The League operates under basic parliamentary procedures as recognized by the National Association of Parliamentarians.
ARTICLE II – OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
A. Presides at and administers the business of the El Paso Writers’ League.
B. Designates the place and times of all meetings.
C. Establishes committees and appoints chairperson(s). Is an ex-officio member of all committees.
D. Appoints temporary or interim officers when required.
E. Appoints a Parliamentarian.
F. Each December, prepares and presents an annual written report.
G. Upon leaving office or when a change of Treasurer occurs, writes a letter to the bank, attaching a copy of the minutes recording the changes.
2. Vice President
A. Presides at meetings in the absence of the President.
B. Is in charge of publicity, fund raising and marketing.
C. Greets new members and guests at meetings.
D. Other duties as directed by the President.
A. Keeps minutes of all meetings and makes them available for review and approval each month.
B. Maintains an attendance record of both members and visitors at each meeting.
C. Writes thank-you letters to speakers and other correspondence, as directed.
D. Notifies members of meetings and special announcements.
E. Promptly transfers files and records upon leaving office.
A. Receives dues from members and deposits all money into the EPWL bank account.
B. Makes disbursements by check for expenses that are authorized by the approved budget and obtains receipts for those disbursements.
C. Reports expenditures and balances each month and as requested.
D. Reconciles the bank statement on a regular basis and provides full information for annual audit.
E. Maintains an up-to-date roster of dues paid, to include member name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. Provides this list and any changes, to the President, Secretary and Newsletter Editor when changes occur.
F. Each January, distributes a written annual report of the previous year’s membership, income and expenses.
G. Promptly transfers files, records, and bank book upon leaving office.
ARTICLE III - EXECUTIVE BOARD
1. The Executive Board shall consist of the president, immediate past-president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and committee chairpersons.
2. The Executive Board shall operate according to the Constitution and shall establish Standing Rules which will cover the duties of committee chairpersons and organization dues, procedures and policies. Standing Rules shall be distributed to members along with the Constitution.
3. Proposed revisions to the Standing Rules, along with the rationale for change, shall be posted on the blog two weeks prior to meeting and vote by the Executive Board. Changes may be made by the Executive Board after motion, discussion and majority vote.
4. A quorum will consist of a simple majority of the Executive Board.
5. Executive Board meeting place, date, time and agenda shall be posted on the blog one week prior to such meeting.
6. Members may attend Executive Board meetings and may offer information or expert advice, but may not vote.
7. The Executive Board shall prepare a budget for the upcoming year, by meeting with the newly elected officers, after the November election and prior to the January meeting. This budget shall be presented to the membership for approval at the January meeting.
8. Special projects may be recommended to the membership after approval by the board. A motion, second, discussion and vote of members will authorize such projects.
ARTICLE IV – PARLIAMENTARIAN
Acts as advisor and consultant for the president, other officers, committees, and members on matters of parliamentary procedure.
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS
1. Regular meetings of the El Paso Writers’ League shall be held at least once a month at a time and place designated by the President.
2. Special meetings of the League may be called by the President or at the request of five members. One-half of the active membership shall constitute a quorum at such meetings.
3. Voting shall be determined by a simple majority of active members, present at meetings.
ARTICLE VI – MEMBERSHIP AND ATTENDANCE
1. Active members are those persons who have completed an application and paid the required dues each year. Membership year ends on December 31st. Membership fees are not pro-rated.
2. After two meetings, visitors are requested to apply for membership, so they may support the purpose of the League and enjoy the benefits of membership.
3. Associate Membership Status will be granted to financial donors within the Business Community but will not convey voting rights.
ARTICLE VII – NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
1. A Nominating committee consisting of three active members of the League shall be appointed by the president at the October meeting.
2. The Nominating committee shall submit a slate of potential officers at the November meeting. Nominations may be made from the floor.
3. Officers of the League will serve for one year. Elections shall be held each November.
4. Officers will be installed at the December meeting and take office in January.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
An amendment to this constitution and the rationale for change shall be posted on the blog, not less than two weeks prior to the meeting, at which a vote will be taken. After a motion for approval, second (unless made by committee report), and discussion, this constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present.